Size of this preview: 800 × 600 pixels.
Full resolution (1,000 × 750 pixels, file size: 122 KB, MIME type: image/png)
Human Menstrual Cycle Hormonal Overview
Diagram showing hormonal changes during the "typical" human menstrual cycle.
- There is great variability in human menstrual cycle length.
- There can also be cycle, age, genetic and pathology dependent changes in hormone levels.
- GnRH - gonadotrophin releasing hormone (from hypothalamus, a 10 amino acid peptide hormone)
- FSH - follicle stimulating hormone (from anterior pituitary, a glycoprotein hormone)
- LH - leutenizing hormone (from anterior pituitary, a glycoprotein hormone)
- Cycle days are numbered (-14 to +14) with respect to peak (0) of mid-cycle leutenizing hormone surge.
- Cycle days are often numbered (1 to 28) from the first day (1) of menses.
- Gonadotrophin releasing hormone (GnRH) is released from about 1000 neurons within the hypothalamus in a pulsatile manner.
- Leutenizing hormone (LH) increases mid-cycle driving ovulation.
- Ovulation occurs during this mid-cycle LH surge.
- Not shown are the Inhibin A and Inhibin B levels.
- New figure version is more accurate for body temperature and estrogen changes.
- Even more smoothed hormonal curves are often shown in simplified diagrams.
- Links: Menstrual Cycle
- The pituitary and ovarian hormone curves are based upon Greenspan's Endocrinology, where the actual levels have been measured.
- The body temperature curve is based upon Sex differences and reproductive hormone influences on human odor perception. Doty RL, Cameron EL. Physiol Behav. 2009 May 25;97(2):213-28. Epub 2009 Mar 9. Review. Erratum in: Physiol Behav. 2009 Oct 19;98(4):517. PMID 19272398
- HPG Axis based upon NIAAA Alcohol’s Effects on Female Reproductive Function, Mary Ann Emanuele, M.D., Frederick Wezeman, Ph.D., and Nicholas V. Emanuele, M.D. Figure 1
- Uterus changes cropped from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:MenstrualCycle2_en.svg
Click on a date/time to view the file as it appeared at that time.
|current||12:21, 20 May 2011||1,000 × 750 (122 KB)||S8600021|
|09:16, 9 April 2010||1,000 × 977 (186 KB)||S8600021||Human Menstrual Cycle Original File Name: 1000px-MenstrualCycle2_en.svg.png Image Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:MenstrualCycle2_en.svg Category: Menstrual Cycle Category:Reproductive Cycle Category:Cartoon Category:Graph|
- You cannot overwrite this file.
- Edit this file using an external application (See the setup instructions for more information)