Infant Ovary (human)
In this infant ovary there are a large number of primordial follicles (oocytes) forming a thick cortical region and no later stages follicle development. Compare this structure with the other images of a mature ovary with reproductive activity.
- inset - region of whole ovary shown in this image
- right - ovary surface (tunica alburginea)
- centre - ovary cortex
- left - ovary medulla
- primordial follicle - primary oocyte is surrounded by a single layer of follicular cells.
- oocytes - enter diplotene stage of prophase.
- remain arrested in this early stage of the first meiotic division as a primary oocyte (primordial follicle)
Click on a date/time to view the file as it appeared at that time.
|current||23:12, 21 September 2009||943 × 571 (108 KB)||S8600021||Infant Ovary, note the large number of primordial follicles around the cortex.|
- You cannot overwrite this file.
- Edit this file using an external application (See the setup instructions for more information)