File:Fetal head section.jpg
Human Fetal Head Week 12
Selected medial head (12 weeks) view showing key features of head musculoskeletal and neurological development. Note extensive nasal cartilage, nasal conchae, pituitary, secondary palate, oral cavity, tongue, mandible, hyoid, choana, oropharynx. Also note the developing tongue musculature and its mandibular attachment site.
- 12 Week Images: Sagittal unlabeled | Sagittal labeled | Sagittal medial view | Sagittal lateral view | Pituitary unlabeled | Pituitary labeled | Tongue | Skull Development | Head Development
This mid-line section through the fetal head shows features of the developing skull and the brain, face and mouth.
- developing brain and brainstem.
- lamina terminalis (site of anterior neuropore closure).
- fourth ventricle.
- developing pituitary sitting in the sella turcica.
- cartilage - septum of the nose.
- bone - ossifying nasal concha.
- bone - palate roof of mouth.
- cartilage - soft palate back of mouth.
- cartilage - base of skull and vertebra.
- muscle - tongue, attached to mandible, note foramen cecum.
- bone - mandible.
- Links: Image - Head histology | Image - Head medial cartilage/bone | Image - Head lateral cartilage/bone | Head Development | Gastrointestinal Tract Development | Skull Development | Bone Development
Source: Prof Virginia Diewert Original File Name: 12weekhead.jpg
Cite this page:
Hill, M.A. (2013) Fetal head section.jpg. Retrieved June 18, 2013, from http://php.med.unsw.edu.au/embryology/index.php?title=Fetal_head_section.jpg
- Dr Mark Hill 2013, UNSW Embryology ISBN: 978 0 7334 2609 4 - UNSW CRICOS Provider Code No. 00098G
Click on a date/time to view the file as it appeared at that time.
|current||12:24, 18 March 2012||1,200 × 821 (167 KB)||Z8600021|
|12:18, 18 March 2012||965 × 660 (107 KB)||Z8600021|
|15:41, 13 September 2009||965 × 660 (63 KB)||S8600021||Selected medial head view showing key features of head musculoskeletal and neurological development. Note extensive nasal cartilage, nasal conchae, pituitary, secondary palate, oral cavity, tongue, mandible, hyoid, choana, oropharynx. Also note the devel|
- You cannot overwrite this file.
- Edit this file using an external application (See the setup instructions for more information)