BGDA Practical - Placenta and Fetal Membranes
From implantation through the remainder of prenatal development the parts of the conceptus that did not contribute to the embryo now develop and differentiate in parallel to form the embryonic placenta and the fetal membranes. Remember that the placenta has a dual origin from both fetal and maternal contributions.
|Practical 3 - Fertilization to Implantation||Practical 7 - Implantation to 8 Weeks||Practical 12 - Fetal Period|
Clinically, the placenta is first observed by ultrasound and both the site of formation and its development are critical to fetal development. The placenta and the fluid within the fetal membranes, are an important diagnostic tool for the genetic status of the fetus. At birth, in recent years, the cells derived from the placental cord are now an important source of “cord stem cells”. These will eventually have many clinical therapeutic applications.
To understand the development, anatomy and histology of the placenta and the fetal membranes.Implantation and Early Placentation | Villi Development | Maternal Decidua | Cord Development | Placental Functions | Diagnostic Techniques | Abnormalities
Implantation, uterine changes (endometrium to decidua), early placentation (cytotrophoblast and syncitiotrophoblast cells), villi development, placental cord, placental function, placental membranes, abnormalities.
Practical Class Note
- The term used when referring to the cord and its associated vessels (arteries and vein) can be either placental or umbilical.
- Material under the heading "Additional Information" on each page is not part of today's practical and is provided as supporting information only.
- Virtual slides - there will be 2 virtual slides used in this practical class.
- Specimens - there is a whole fixed placenta and uterus specimen available.
- Models - there are a range of models showing early placentation and placenta structure available.
- Placenta Links: Introduction | Lecture - Placenta | Practical - Placenta | Implantation | Villi Development | Maternal Decidua | Endocrine | Cord | Membranes | Abnormalities | Stage 13 | Stage 22 | Histology | Vascular Beds | Blood Vessel Development | Stem Cells | Category:Placenta
BGDA: Lecture 1 | Lecture 2 | Practical 3 | Practical 6 | Practical 12 | Practical 14 | Histology Support - Female | Tutorial 2011
- A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z | Numbers | Symbols
- Dr Mark Hill 2013, UNSW Embryology ISBN: 978 0 7334 2609 4 - UNSW CRICOS Provider Code No. 00098G